Thursday, December 8, 2022

Mandeville Memories Stirred By Article

An article by Polly Morris about the old Mandeville Train Depot was published in the St. Tammany News Banner in October of 1976. It offered a nostalgic look at the old Mandeville train depot as it slowly deteriorated in the mid-1970's. 

Her article  stirred many memories of Mandeville area residents, so much so that one of them wrote a Letter to the Editor about the train depot article. Here are some excerpts from that letter:

 Former resident returns and reveres old memories 
St. Tammany News Banner November 3, 1976

From the time I was born until I was twenty one or two, I spent every summer in Mandeville, and the greatest thrill of every week was meeting Dad at the Depot Friday evening.


Mandeville Train Depot

I've just returned to this area after having lived in Oregon, Washington State and Tennessee, and one of my greatest thrills was looking for, and finding, the old landmarks of my youth. New occupants, new owners 
greeted me almost everywhere I went refreshing my memory of former tenants.

I found that many families had lived in our home on Marigny, "Hasta Luego," since we gave it up. However, I was happy- to see it still standing reflecting the joys of our happy summers spent there.

Many new faces prayed in our old familiar church and although the sermons of today do not give you the fear of hellfire and damnation of the past, the foundation of religion remains the same and I felt thankful to still enjoy my freedom to pray as I wished.

Bakery Revisited

I was a bit disappointed not to find Mr. Raquets bakery still sending out tantalizing odors of hot cinnamon buns and mouthwatering bread and donuts! As I peeked in the shop 
windows I found the little bakery inhabited by a plant loving family who probably never even enjoyed those "old time" gastronomical delights.

The old boat landing used to be our favorite fishing spot where "our gang" gathered to crab and fish and shrieked with joy at every catch! Today sailboats and yachts fill the channel which was a very busy thoroughfare whenever the Madisonville and Susquehanna arrived on the scene bringing happy voyagers back and forth from New Orleans.


The Susquehanna

Dr. Payne's Home

Dr. Paynes' home still stands behind the white picket fence which identified him to all in need—ah, yes, I remember him well.

If the old Williams Drug Store could talk ( it is now an antique 
shoppe) it would surely laugh along with me remembering my fumbling, bumbling bargain with Mr. Williams over my first pack of purchased cigarettes (smoked behind our old barn ). Mr. Williams saw through my scheme and knew how sick I would become. No fooling him.

It's so good to be hack in St. Tammany again, perhaps you call it nostalgia, but as I read the beautiful and touching article by Polly Morris, I had to wipe the tears away as I relived this vivid past realizing, "Mandy Depot" may be gone forever, but the many happy memories connected with its days of service in the past, shall linger on as 
long as I live!

ANNA RIBBECK
Riverwood Dr. Covington, La.


See also: