The history of the buildings and businesses (and the individual personalities that made them a success) will be featured, with several knowledgeable people on hand to share their memories.
Here are some pictures of the buildings and businesses which may be featured in the "History and Mystery" Event.
Click on the following images to make them larger.
The structure at that time was 110 years old, meaning it was built in 1864, according to local records. The bank wanted to use the location occupied by the house as a parking lot and drive through window facility.
Dr. Howard Nichols, president of the St. Tammany Parish Historical Society, reported that the society itself had considered moving the house which could then be used as a headquarters for the group, as well as a museum. The project was beyond the resources of the society, however, as determined by the board of directors. The group did pass a resolution to the City of Covington recommending that the city move the structure back onto the ox lot directly behind it so it could be stored until moved somewhere else.
Either that, or it could be set up permanently in the ox lot and used as a tourist attraction, the historical society suggested. It was hoped the project would capture the interest of the local committee planning a celebration of the American Bicentennial in 1976, Dr. Nichols stated.
No one stepped up to take advantage of the bank's offer, however, and the building was dismantled shortly afterwards.