Not far from the entrance to Bogue Falaya Park in Covington is the Mackie House, a beautiful home that features shaded galleries, heart pine floors, and within a short walk down Independence Street is Columbia Landing on the Bogue Falaya River.
According to its information from historical records, the home is a Creole/French style Colonial home, with clapboard/weatherboard siding, an asphalt shingle roof, and double-hung casement windows. Additions to the home include a section in the rear, a "widow's walk" and roof dormers.
It was originally the site of the home of H. Larousini, but that structure was destroyed by fire in May of 1900. That building was described as one of the "largest and finest residences" in town. Another home was built there and occupied by Harry A. Mackie, the owner of Mackie's Pine Oil.
The Carriage House first appeared on a Sanborn map as an "auto garage" in 1921. The board and batten structure is painted green and is a historic structure on its own merit.
The Mackie Carriage House
In an article on Realtor.com posted in November of 2015, Angela Colley
wrote that The Mackie House was an Acadian styled home surrounded by
beautiful oak trees and a white picket fence. The
property once belonged to none other than John Wharton Collins, a New
Orleans merchant who founded the city of Covington in 1813.
"There’s a long hall and staircase in the middle and rooms on either
side,"Ms. Colley goes on to say.
Several pictures of the home, both interior and exterior, are still up for view on real estate websites, from when it was up for sale a few years ago.The webpages are linked below:
Zillow listing Realtor listing