Information about the background of the parish is found on the St. Tammany Parish Government's website, on its history page. To view the original webpage, CLICK HERE.
The following are some of the businesses which have played significant roles in the history of St. Tammany Parish. In addition, there are some areas of the parish listed which may not exist on a map any more, but at one time were thriving communities.
H.J. Smith and Sons General Store and Museum opened in 1876. It is still open today on Columbia Street in Covington.
The St. Tammany Economic Development Foundation was created in 1981 through the united efforts of the individual chambers of commerce in the parish.
Tulane National Primate Research Center originally opened in 1964 as the Delta Regional Primate Research Center
NASA Michoud Computer Operations Office, one of the largest high-speed electronic computer centers in the country, was established in Slidell in 1962. It was originally a regional air traffic control building for the FAA. The facility processed data and aided in the fabrication and testing of the Saturn I, Saturn 1B and Saturn V rockets.
Southeast Louisiana Hospital opened Oct. 6, 1952 as the third psychiatric treatment facility for the State of Louisiana. It received its first patient on Dec. 8, 1952.
The St. Tammany Farmer was founded in 1874 by George Ingram. It was started as a “weekly journal devoted to Agriculture, Railroads, Commerce, Manufacturing, and Education.” A subscription was originally sold for $2 a year. It is now just over $17 a year.
St. Tammany Ice & Manufacturing Company had the largest flowing water well in the State of Louisiana. The company also had the first generator in Covington, and was awarded the contract to provide the town of Covington with electricity in 1910.
Poole Lumber was started in Covington 1945 by Lt. Weldon W. Poole, as a lumber re-manufacturing company. Now the company sells lumber and building materials.
Suella Shop was opened in the mid 1960s on Columbia Street in downtown Covington. It was a department store owned by Kay Morse and Ella Hadley.
The following are areas and communities which are recognized or were at one time recognized as part of St. Tammany Parish, though they are not incorporated as towns, cities or villages.
Big Branch is an area between Mandeville and Lacombe, bordering Lake Pontchartrain. It contains Big Branch Marsh National Wildlife Refuge.
Bush is a community in the Northeastern part of St. Tammany Parish.
Goodbee is an unincorporated community at the intersection of US 190 and LA Hwy 1077, west of Covington. Goodbee has a signed exit off Interstate12.
Hickory is a community North of Pearl River, located at the intersection of Hwy 36 and Hwy 41.
Alton is a community located north of Slidell and south of Pearl River, off of Hwy 11
Talisheek is a community between Abita Springs and Lacombe.
Waldheim is a community located north of Covington off of Hwy 21.
Lewisburg was founded in 1834 as a community between Mandeville and Lake Pontchartrain.
White Kitchen was a community founded in 1953. It was named after a restaurant located where US 190 and US Route 90 meet on the eastern edge of St. Tammany. 3 White Kitchen Restaurants were built by Onesime Faciane. George Allen Bowden, the chef at the White Kitchen Restaurant, made the famous White Kitchen BBQ sauce recipe.
Jayville was a community in existence from 1885 to 1906. It was a community slightly upriver and across from Madisonville. It was originally named for a sawmill built by entrepreneur W.T. Jay. Virgin cypress and yellow pine were milled and ferried to New Orleans from this mill. Jay built his home near the mill. Later, the residence was called Fairview House and today it is known as Otis House. In 1906 Charles and William Houlton bought the lumber company and mansion. Renamed company Houlton Lumbar Company.
Houltonville was a community created when the Houltons, Charles and William, from Duluth, Minnesota bought Jay’s Sawmill and the Otis house from W.T. Jay. Houtonville had a general store, post office, schoolhouse, and 3 churches – including Penn’s Chapel.