The original location of the St. Tammany Art Association was in the Sans Souci Forest. In 1958 it sometimes shared facilities with the newly formed Playmakers Inc.
Efforts to move the art association into town began in earnest in 1973, with first consideration going to the "Gibert Property" across the river.
Around 1973, the St. Tammany Art Association moved from its special home in the Sans Souci Forest north of Covington to its new headquarters on North New Hampshire St. near the entrance to Bogue Falaya Park, across from Christ Episcopal Church. It was quite a volunteer effort, first to raise the money to buy the place, then to fix up the two-story structure.
But the location served as the focal point for western St.Tammany art classes and exhibits for many years, until the Art Association moved to its new location at 320 North Columbia Street in Covington. For the story of how everything came together to acquire the N. New Hampshire street building, click on the article below to read about the excitement about the STAA moving "into town."
Articles and photos by Ron Barthet
A "Family Affair" art exhibit featured works by Barbara Van Duym, Jenifer Epperson Van Duym, and Babs Epperson, standing on the front steps of the new art association building.
One of the first photography exhibits to be held in the new building was by Dave Diamond, right, and Ron Barthet, left. In the center is Caroline Wood, President of the STAA at the time.
Anne Barnes and Darleen Holden show Japanese visitors the art exhibits in the STAA house during a tour of international visitors to Covington
Today the building houses the administrative offices
of Christ Episcopal Church
The art association later moved into the old Nichols Toy Store building in the 300 block of Columbia Street. Click here for more information.