In 1973, such a brickyard was found in a section of Riverwood being constructed, and local historians tried to figure out which brickyard it was. While the St. Joe brickyard north of Slidell is still famous today, the many brickyards in the Covington area, several of which were responsible for providing the building materials for New Orleans, were for the most part closed down, abandoned and forgotten.
Click on the image below to view a larger version of the article.
In the excerpt below from page 108 of Steve Ellis' book on St. Tammany Parish history , this is what he had to say:
Apparently, at some point in the 1850's, a St. Tammany Parish brickyard was the only place in America that was making "fireproof bricks," quite an accomplishment since they were in considerable demand. From the 1912 Farmer newspaper, this article about brickmaking in the 1850's...
St. Joe Brick Works
Founded in 1891, and purchased in 1895 by Peter W. Schneider when he acquired the small hand-operated plant, St. Joe Brick Works, Inc. has been under continuous operation for 120 years, and by the Schneiders for 116 years. This plant located 40 miles north of New Orleans is the oldest family brick manufacturers east of the Mississippi River making colonial moulded face brick using wood moulds.
To read the history of the St. Joe Brickyards in Slidell, CLICK HERE.
A display of various bricks at HJ Smiths Sons General Merchandise Store Museum in Covington.