1. It was long believed that Audubon was born in Mandeville.
2. The Indian maiden in Abita Springs was named Velasco.
3. Fontainebleau State Park land was once owned by G. W. Nott.
4. Monroe Street in Lewisburg was once named "Route du Roi" for the King of France, Louis Phillipe. He was one of the Royal French princes who rode up and down Monroe Street in Lewisburg while he was the guest of Bernard Marigny. He later became the King of France.
6. The name of the popular steamboat Camelia was changed to the "New Camelia" in 1878.
7. There was a home in Lewisburg that was identified as the fictional place in the novel "Uncle Tom's Cabin" where Little Eva died.
----Here is the list of the Questions and Answers published in the Farmer June 22, 1901. Links have been placed on the topics expanded upon in other Tammany Family blogs.
HISTORICAL AND INTERESTING
We have received the following questions from a correspondent and will answer to the best of our ability. In doing so, we have been rendered valuable assistance by our talented young attorney, Mr. Harvey E. Ellis.
Q. After whom and when was Lewisburg named?
Lewisburg was named after Joshua Lewis, a native of Virginia, and appointed territorial Judge of Louisiana, by Thomas Jefferson.
Q. Give the year and date when Audubon was born in Mandeville.
Audubon was born May 4, 1780.
Q. When was the town of Wharton changed into that of Covington?
March 11, 1816.
Q. Why was Abita so named? Who wrote the beautiful poem of Velasco the Indian Maid in connection therewith.
Legend of Abita—Published in the New Orleans Times between 1874-76.
Q. Give the name of the Judge of the Supreme Court of Louisiana who was born and reared in Covington.
Judge Henry C. Miller.
Q. Who was the famous orator and member of Congress who was also born in Covington, and when did he die?
E. John Ellis. Died in Washington, D. C., Apnl 25, 1889.
Q. Where is Fontainebleau located in St. Tammany, and from whom did the name originate?
"Fontainebleau" is a plantation a few miles back of Mandeville. It originally belonged to Mr. Bernard Marigny's father, and was named for the royal palace and forest in France. It is now owned by Mr. G. W. Nott, of New Orleans.
Q. What is the name of the public road running from Mandeville to the spring ot Lewisburg? After whom was it named? Why was it first called Route du Roi?
The name of the road is Monroe Street, and was thus called in honor of James Monroe. It was first named "Route du Roi" for Louis Philippe —afterwards King of France.
Q. Who were the royal princes that frequently rode up and down there, one of whom afterwards became King of France?
Louis Philippe and his courtiers; he was King of France from 1830 to 1848.
Q. Which of the Marigny family was their host?
Mr. Bernard Marigny, son of Marigny de Mandeville.
Q. Where did Dr. J. W. Thompson first locate in Covington? Whose residence did he occupy?
In the old home of Judge Penn.
Q. Give the name of the tribe of Indians whom Sanvolle, the first royal governor of the Province of Louisiana in 1698 found inhabiting the site now occupied by Lewisburg, Mandeville and Fonntainebleau.
Choctaw Indians, sometimes called Apalaches, and Martin's history says there were also here about sixty Oumas (Red men)
Q. What three steamboats made excursions from Milneburg and the old wharf at "Bucktown," to Covington, in 1857-1861?
A. G. Brown, Pamlico and Arrow.
Q. Who was "Chahta Ima?" Near what village was his little chapel built? What was his French name?
Pere Rouquette, who formerly lived near Bayou Lacombe.
Q. Who wrote the poem which ends as follows:
"I will thank the great Jehovah for the work that he has done,
When he made the Bogue Falaya by the town of Covington."
Charles Colton, of New Orleans.
Q. In what year was the Parish created and who was the governor then? What train station is named after him?
Dec. 22, 1810. The Governor was William C. C. Claiborne; he was Governor of the territory of Orleans and all the country east of Ponchatoula. Claiborne Station. See Vol. 2, P. 542, Digest of Moreau Listel
Q. After whom was Lakes Pontchartrain and Maurepas named, and by whom?
Named after Louis de Pontchartraine, Minister of the Marines to Louis the Fourteenth and his Secretary Jerome Count de Maurepas. See Grace King's & Ficklen's History.
Q. Give the name of the author of "Halimah, A Legend of the Tangipahoa."
"The voice of old Chinchnba echoing still, With fatal warning of the mystic hill."
Octu Nash Ogden, of Amite, La.
Q. What positions did Jessie R. Jones and Lyman Briggs occupy during the year 1835? Likewise D. B. Morgan, Henry Curtis, Thomas S. Mortee, and Samuel Smith.
Jessie R. Jones was Judge the 8th Judicial District. Lyman Briggs was Parish and Probate Judge. D. B. Morgan, Civil Engineer. Thomas Mortee, Clark of the Court. Samuel Smith was Sheriff.
Q. What was the first name of the New Camelia, and where did she run in 1846?
The original name of the steamer was Camelia. It was changed to New Camelia in 1878. She was in the Lake Pontchartrain trade.
Q. After whom and when was St. Tammany Parish named?
St. Tammany Parish was named after a Delaware Chief, Tammenund, or Tammany, who lived in 18th century, and was traditionally famous for his wisdom in council, and his friendliness towards the whites. He was facetiously canonized as the patron saint of the republic, and his name was adopted by the Tammany Society, founded in New York in 1789, which subsequently became Tammany Hall, a political club controlling one wing of the Democratic party.
The Farmer was unable to answer the following questions. The editor hoped that some of his readers could do so:
1. What was the name of the first steam boat and in what year did she commence running from New Orleans to Covington?
2. Can any one give the site of the home in Mandeville where little Eva in "Uncle Tom's Cabin" died, as described by Mrs. Harriet Beecher Stowe? (Uncle Tom's Cabin was published in 1852)
3. Give the name of the United States Regiment that occupied Madisonville in 1864, and who were the officers?
(Thanks to Randy Hayno for above newspaper clipping)
4. When did General Morgan die? He commanded the U. S. forces below Algiers, La., on the 8th of January, 1815, and subsequently removed to Madisonville?
5. Give the date that the first U. S. shipyard was established at Madisonville?
6. Give the names of those who constituted the lottery company in Covington over sixty years ago.
7. What books give an account of the history of St. Tammany Parish and the names of the first settlers?
8. After the capture of the English armed sloop "West Florida" by the Americans under Capt. Pickles, Sept. 10, 1779, who were the settlers between Bayou Lacombe and the river Tangipahoa," that desired to be known as citizens of the United States ?
Here is the newspaper clipping of the Questions and Answers article. Click on the image below to make it larger.