In 1966 a new post office was opened on Florida Street in Covington. Its construction was credited to the area's growing contribution to the economy of the region. Postmaster Allen Bruhl stated that Covington's post office had gone from $58,511 in revenues in 1956 to $163,616 in 1966. The number of post office employees in 1966 was 23, compared to 13 employees ten years earlier.
The only problem with the new post office was that it didn't have a designated space for the newsstand that had been operated by a blind vendor for years.