A block later it became Kemper street, a two block stretch that is the first cross street when one enters Covington from the east.
Lee Ferry Road eventually became known as Lee Road, and Kemper Street became known as Lee Lane, home to a number of quaint shopping venues.Many legal property descriptions still refer to Lee Road as Lee Ferry Road.
Lee Ferry Road is named in honor of the ferry which helped travelers get across the wide Bogue Chitto River, not General Robert E. Lee as some had come to believe.
Here are some maps.
Lee Ferry Crossing on the Bogue Chitto River north of Covington
The Covington Sanborn Map of 1909 shows Lee Ferry Road coming into town
Lee Ferry Road became Kemper Street (as shown in this 1934 map)
And Kemper Street became Lee Lane
Google Earth aerial photo of Lee Ferry location
Here's a trace in red of Lee Road from Covington to Hwy. 439 in Washington Parish as labelled by Google Maps. Many land ownership maps and records still refer to Lee Road as "Lee Ferry Road."