Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Scrapbooks Full of Memories

     Many of the photographs presented on the Tammany Family blog come from a number of family collections, archives, and newspaper images. They help remind us of days gone by. In the future, however, it may become harder to find actual photographs, since many of them are now stored in cellphones and hard drives and the "cloud." 
     Photographs our parents and grandparents took over the years sometimes wind up in boxes and drawers, scattered around the house. Negative sleeves get lost, scanned digital pictures get buried in folders deep within your computer. People's names are forgotten, vacation photos show locations you don't recognize. There is a remedy to all of this. Here's a poem about it. 

Memories of Memories
  
I remember many memories,
But there comes a time at last,
I lose those recollections,
Of things and days long past.
 
Bringing to my aging mind,
Thoughts of people I once knew,
Locations that I visited,
Places that I once flew.
 
Now it is those memories,
That tend to fly away,
So I pause to write them down,
Find pictures that show that day.
 
Across the years my thoughts are strewn,
Of people, places, events,
And I wonder just how soon,
My memories won’t make sense.
 
A day I will be wondering,
What really happened when,
Of who did what to who I knew
And why it happened then.
 
So write them down, make a list.
Of memories you now treasure,
Not only benefits you, my friend,
But your family beyond measure.
 
It helps to every now and then,
Look back and then recall,
People who helped along the way,
And how you did it all.
 
The little things that we ignored,
The challenges we braved,
All of those are memories,
That should somehow be saved.
 
We call them up and write them down.
Find pictures that we took,
Identify folks from left to right,
And fill the old scrapbook.
 
In days to come we will enjoy,
Seeing things we had forgotten,
The people we at one time knew,
The paths that we had trodden.
 
A handheld scrapbook may now seem quaint,
But it may be worth a look,
Cause when memories become memories,
It will be your favorite book.

See also: