History of Hebert's Drugstore Building
A summary based on an article written by Carol Harrison.
The southeast corner of the Boston St. and New Hampshire St. intersection has an interesting history. Beginning in 1911, it was the site of the Parkview Theater, a movie show and entertainment stage operated by Sid Fuhrmann, one of the most artistic and creative people to have ever lived in Covington.
Fuhrmann was an actor, an artist, and a showman, and for years he had been directing and presenting plays in the park pavilion at Bogue Falaya Park, a few blocks down New Hampshire. He loved vaudeville, and he wanted to build a theater right in the middle of downtown Covington to entertain people.
Fuhrmann and C.N. Schoenberg built the building in 1911, using Fuhrmann's energetic and optimistic belief in the theater's success and Mr. Schoenberg's financial backing.
The theater opened in 1912, spotlighting dance reviews, vaudeville acts, beauty contests, and other shows. It operated for 12 years, then Fuhrmann decided it wasn't big enough and a newer, larger theater would have to be built.
In 1926, Mr. Maurice Planche and Mr. E.J. Frederick decided to open an automobile dealership in the building. The Frederick-Planche Motor Co. was run by the two sons of Mr. Frederick, Hebert and Lawrence.
They bought the Ford agency from Mr. Wehrli, and almost immediately ran out of cars to sell because Ford had to close its plant down for almost two years as it switched from producing Model T's to Model A's. During that time, the Covington business didn't have any cars to sell, but it did run a repair shop for the existing cars in town.
June 7, 1919 Newspaper notice
Finally in 1929, a new stock of cars came in, the long waiting list for customers was filled, and to celebrate, the Frederick-Planche Motor C. had a big parade around town to show off the new Model A's purchased through their business.
The car dealership was sold to Mr. Burns in 1939, and the Frederick-Planche Motor. Co. became Covington Motors. The business was re-located to another spot almost immediately.
The next tenant for the building came in 1940, an ambitious young druggist and his wife, Mr. and Mrs. Oliver and Cecile Hebert. They didn't need the entire building for their drug store, so they divided it into three sections and let out the other two rooms for other business enterprises.
He added a soda fountain and tables and for many years, Hebert's Drugs was the leading drug store in Covington. Stanley Bridges was a long time pharmacist there.
For a few years, the building was home to Dunnings Florist.
Here is the actual article by Carol Harrison published in Pathways Magazine in 1972. It continued her series of imaginary conversations among the old buildings in downtown Covington. This episode features Carol's Corner building (identified as C.C.) talking to Hebert's Drugs (identified as H.D.), the building at the southeast corner of Boston Street and North New Hampshire, now occupied by del Porto Restaurant.
Photo of the building as a car dealership
Above, a row of 1928 Model A Fords with Mayor Wallace Poole, in the coat, sitting next to Fire Chief Joe Hoffman. Also in photograph are Nick Seiler, Bill Wanner and Ted Bonney.
In the sidewalk out front
Gratitude Opens The Door