In 1883, some one hundred and thirty years ago, a group of 141 Slidell area men got together and chipped in money to buy some marshland for the purposes of starting a hunting club, the Bonfouca Hunting Club. The 1400 acres was located southeast of Slidell.
Then in 1951, the club, long since inactive, decided to sell off the land. After considerable debate and litigation, it was set at a value of $70,000, with the sum to be divided among the descendants and heirs of the original members.
Here is a newspaper version, published in 1953, of the history of the Bonfouca Hunting Club, its legal challenges and the names of the original members, along with the money they contributed to buying the original property.
Click on the image to make it larger and more readable.