This advertisement published in 1816 in the Louisiana Gazette offered lots for sale in the young town of Wharton, portions of which were renamed "Covington" against the wishes of the founder John Wharton Collins. It looks like from this ad he was still insisting on calling it Wharton to honor his family name.
Jack Terry said that the ad has wonderful directions if
you have a sail boat and
want to travel from Bayou St John to Covington, although the reference to General Carroll’s road is interesting, since he crossed the lake after the War of 1812 in 1815 and
went from Madisonville headed towards Liberty, Mississippi.
Click on the image to make the image larger.
Text of the above advertisement:
Humbly dedicated to Thomas Jefferson, late president of the United States, the 4th of July, 1813, is situated in the county of Feliciana and parish of St. Tammany, forty-three miles from the city of New Orleans; to say, two miles from the city to the Bayou St. Jean, thence down the Bayou St. Jean, five miles to Lake Pontchartrain; thence across Lake Pontchartrain a N.N.W. (north northwest) course twenty-seven miles to the mouth of the Chefuncta; thence up Chefuncta River two miles to Madisonville; thence seven miles by land or twelve by water, at the head of navigation of the boldest river running into Lake Pontchartrain, lies this healthy and pleasant tract of land, a part of which has lately been incorporated under the title of Covington.
Amongst its numerous advantages, suffice it to say, its proximity to the Gulf of Mexico and New Orleans.
Its high grounds and excellent spring water, its command of a rich and extensive back country, supplying the New Orleans maker largely with cotton, beef, pork, butter, confirms the idea that the time is not far distant when the private citizen, the student, the merchant and mechanic of New Orleans, will seek their summers residence in its healthy environs.
The subscriber will sell lots in the incorporated or unincorporated part, and rent three or four houses on reasonable terms. John W. Collins.
General Carrol's road lies through Wharton. May 20 (1816)
The Life of John Wharton Collins