In 1833 a map was created of the new town of Covington showing the Division of St. John, the original "historic district." In 1983, city officials decided it was time to restore the 150 year-old map as best as possible, and they enlisted the skills of Verne Clark, an art restoration expert who happened to live in Covington. Here is the Times Picayune article from 34 years ago describing the project.
Click on the image above to enlarge the view.
In 1992 Verne Clark was commended by the state legislature for a proposed tax incentive program to build a venture capital fund in the state.
The original map and a modern interpretation of it are shown side by side.