In this 1936 aerial photo of the southern portion of Covington, we see the bridge going over the Tchefuncte River at the end of Filmore Street. The section of Tyler Street from 11th Avenue to the river had not been cleared of trees yet, and the future location of St. Tammany Parish Hospital was also still just trees. The hospital would be built there twenty years later.
Jahncke Avenue, shown at the lower right, passed by St. Paul's School and went on down to Old Landing.
The need for a new bridge was discussed by the Covington town council at an August 1936 meeting.
The bridge across the river at Filmore Street served as Covington's link to the road leading to Madisonville. In the 1800's, an earlier road branched off of Old Landing Road and met up with a ferry across the Tchefuncte River which allowed travelers to head on down to Madisonville.