This is one of the last pictures of the beautiful large "Post Oak" on the Madisonville riverfront that was cut down to make way for the Hwy. 22 bridge over the Tchefuncte River.
At left is the first "test pile" for the new bridge. The Post Oak featured a circular bench at its base, and lent its name to the community and post office prior to the name Madisonville being chosen upon incorporation.
Also in the picture, at left, are the warehouses of Dendinger Lumber Company a major lumber supplier to New Orleans for many years. The picture was taken in 1934.