The M.C.B. Library continued to provide services until the late 1950's. This newspaper column published in 1988 gave an overview of the organization and its services to the community.
Valiant MCB Club Curtails Activities
In City After 62 Years Of Pioneer Service
On July 17, 1959, the St. Tammany Farmer ran the following article on the community contributions made by the M.C. B. Library over the years.
"The service-star-studded M.C. B. has called it quits on civic ventures after last Friday night's meeting, but agreed to hold together as a social organization, to meet periodically upon call.
"The oldest service group in Covington, formed July 10, 1898, started its 62nd year Friday with six of the original 11 charter members still living, still residents of Covington, and still active in the club.
"These are Mrs. Elmer E. Lyon and Mrs. W. A. Hood the organizers; Mrs. Lenora Alexius, Mrs. J.E. J. Frederick, Mrs. F. B. Martindale and Mrs. W. E.. Blossman.
"The M.C.B.'ers were organized when Emma and Josie Whelpley, two young sisters, decided Covington needed civic and cultural progress. They called in a group of girls to discuss the matter and forthwith they chartered the M.C.B.'s.The meeting was at the home of the late Sam Whelpley, father of the girls, now known as Mrs. Elmer Lyon (Emma) and Mrs. W. A. Hood. (Josie).
"The other charter members. now deceased, were Miss Carrie B. Frederick, Miss Edna L. Richard, Mrs. Amanda Lancaster, Miss Katie T. Kentzel and Miss Bertha Doerr.
Joseph B. Lancaster, a notary public, drew up the original charter.
"This new social and literary club's first act was to establish a circulating library, quite a venture in those days. Mr. Whelpley allowed his home to be used as the first library. Later the club members gave parties and dances to raise money for their own library building and finally the M.C.B.'s obtained a place from a young men's organization known as the Bogue Falaya Club.
"It was on Nov. 11, 1903, that a new and bona fide charter was drawn under state law by the late Gordon Goodbee, Sr., then St. Tammany district attorney. The club accumulated 2,500 books, had catalogs printed and took turns keeping the library open on designated afternoons. The library was also rented to organizations a a fee for meetings and parties.
"Among the "tenants" were the early Covington Rotarians, who met at their weekly luncheons with the M.C.B.'s preparing the meals. and serving the food.
"During World War H the club received a citation for their work in selling war bonds. When the police jury established a public library system in the parish, the M.C.B.'s felt they had completed their service in this field. So, in another splendid gestures they turned over all their books and their piano to La Garde Hospital in New Orleans and their building was loaned to the Red Cross for use as war headquarters.
Focuses on Local Hospital
"In 1947, the building was sold to Christ Episcopal Church for use as a parish house, and the M.C.B.'s, undaunted, centered attention on a local hospital, should one ever be built here.
"In 1954, the St. Tammany Parish Hospital was dedicated, with the faithful M.C.B. Club among its staunchest supporters. A check was presented from' the club to outfit the nursery with two incubators and eight basinettes and furnishings for a de luxe private room.
"Later the club gave a steam table, for keeping meals hot to the hospital. They also gave a literal donation toward an iron lung.
"Now, as the faithful group detaches itself at last from the civic scene, there was one final gesture. Each member was made a life member of the St. Tammany Parish Hospital Guild at a cost of $425 for the present 17 active members.
"M.C.B. What does it stand for. All these years it has been kept secret — and in a woman's club, keeping a secret 62 years is quite an accomplishment.
"The present membership is Mrs. Elmer E. Lyons, Mrs. W. A. Hood, Mrs. Lenora Alexius, Mrs. Kane Martindale, Mrs. Ruble Blossman, Mrs. C. R. Schultz, Mrs. S. L. Guynn, Mrs. C. J. Schoen, Sr., Mrs. Mildred Dutsch, Mrs. Ruben Meyers, Mrs. Elms Frederick, Miss Josie Frederick, Mrs. Marie Louise Stevenson, Mrs. Monroe Simmons, Mrs. Henrietta Daul, Mrs. Bill Hutchinson and Mrs. W. F. McGlothlin."
End of St. Tammany Farmer article seen below