It was the summer home of the de la Vergne family of New Orleans, a family that included military officers, bankers, elected officials and prominent lawyers. They are considered one of the founding families of New Orleans, having first arrived from France in 1767.
Today, visitors to the homes on River Road know they are close to Villa de la Vergne when they pass through the one-lane only brick pillars on either side of the road that announced the beginning of the estate.
(From the Louisiana Digital Collection)
Click on the images to make them larger.