Alexius Bros. Hardware and Lumber, around 1917
From left to right are Alfred, Olive Wadsworth, Selma Alexius Wadsworth, Alfreda Wadsworth and John Wadsworth.
Click on the image to make it larger.
Interior of Alexius Bros. Hardware on Lockwood St.
Front row, left to right, G. C. Alexius, Horace Alexius Sr., Alfred Alexius, Willie Cox and John Blow. In the background are Ezra Blow, salesman, and John Alexius.
An ad from 1917
In 1907, Guido Alexius and his sons Alfred, Cintio and John, founded Alexius Brothers and Company; and later his son Horace joined in the business. In 1915, this landmark establishment, originally a gym, was purchased. Later in the 20th century, Guido's grandsons G.C. and Haller Alexius operated the hardware store at this location until 1985.
In addition, portions of the land were donated by the Alexius family for the construction of the Covington Trailhead.The Old Railroad Depot- The original depot faced New Hampshire Street with a passenger and freight terminal facing east. During the mid-1900s, the depot was moved one block to the present site (now a restaurant).
A 1930's picture of the Alexius Brothers: from left, Carl, Alfred, Horace, Centio and John Alexius.
Here is the charter legal notice for the business published in the Farmer on May 19, 1917. Click on the image to make it larger.