Between 1909 and 1918 a motorized street car ran between Covington and Mandeville, passing through Abita Springs. It also ran through three brand new subdivisions that were especially built to be serviced by the street car trolley. They were Helenbirg subdivision, Ozone Park, and Garland Addition, just east of Covington.
Helenbirg straddled Helenbirg Road, down which the street car trolley ran, and Ozone Park was just south of that.
The trolley, or "motor car" as it was called, connected with ferry boats arriving from New Orleans, a "great pier" giving them a place to dock and discharge their passengers right into the trolley cars. Its track was thirteen and a half miles long, making it almost twice as long as the St. Charles Avenue Street Car in New Orleans.
The real estate sales promotion that capitalized on the convenience of the motor car route was heavily advertised by printed materials, including this special promotional booklet shown below.
"But aside from these proof positive statements regarding healthful conditions, we wish to present some facts to the general public who are tired of city dust and dirt and wish to go out into a pure atmosphere and clean country to refresh themselves and yet not be entirely out of touch with the real activities of the city.
Then at the end of the booklet, came the map of the trolley car route, showing it passing right through the middle of Helenbirg Subdivision. A handy diagram showing the lots of the subdivision was also included.