Here are the lakefront area Sanborn Maps for Mandeville in the year 1909. The street named Clayborne is the same as the street spelled Claiborne today. Click on the images to make them appear larger.
Above is the lake area Sanborn map for Mandeville in 1909, spanning the blocks between Coffee and Lafitte Streets. Lake Pontchartrain is at the bottom. The Lake View Hotel is on the lakefront, just west of Coffee Street, and the small building between it and the corner is labeled "telephone exchange." Click on the image to make it larger
About a block north of the lake, on the west side of Coffee, is a building marked "Moving Pictures." Perhaps it was the first theater in Mandeville.
Meanwhile, on the east side of Coffee, about half a block from the lake, is a building designated as the "car barn" of the St. Tammany and New Orleans Railway and Ferry Company.
Above is another Sanborn map of the lake area in 1909, this map spanning the blocks between Lafitte St. and just east of Girod St. Lake Pontchartrain is again at the bottom. There is a General Store on the southwest corner of the Clayborne and Lafitte Street intersection with a warehouse to the side of it. Click on the image to make it appear larger.
On the east side of Lafitte Street on the lake is Mugnier's Hotel. Next to that is the building which was probably the old Bechac's Restaurant building with the big steps coming down the front.
On the west side of the Girod St. and Lake St. intersection is a building labeled "Welcome Hotel" and on the east side of Girod is a building marked "Grocery." It is currently the location of "Don'z on the Lake" Bar. It is shown with the color red, which indicates it was a brick building.
On the east side of that building, on Lake Street, was the Mitchell Hotel. Half a block from the lake, on the west side of Girod, was a boarding house. The structures that are yellow indicate that they were wood frame structures.
The map above shows the buildings in the area of the intersection of Clayborne and Carroll Streets in 1909, which was considered the center of town. At the top middle is the Union Church (which is still in the same location today). Click on the image to make it appear larger.
Down on the northeast corner of Clayborne and Carroll Streets was a brand new brick building which housed Gent's Furnishings and the St. Tammany Bank. That building still stands today. For more information about the history of that bank building, CLICK HERE. To the east of that building on Clayborne was the Post Office and a Drug Store.
In the southeast quadrant of the intersection is a General Store and warehouse. On the west side of Carroll Street, across from Clayborne Street, was a barber shop. These maps were downloaded from the Library of Congress Historical Maps website. More maps will be posted in a future blog entry, those from the year 1915.
To see the Sanborn maps of the same area in the year 1904, CLICK HERE.