The Tchefuncte River sat abandoned until April 24, 1783 when Jean Baptiste Baham (originally from Barsac France) arrived to settle on his 1000 arpents of land he received from a Spanish land grant. In 1811, the town was renamed Madisonville in honor of President James Madison. After the death of Jean Baptiste Baham, his five sons divided his land into lots. The town was later incorporated in 1817.
The historical marker in front of the Madisonville town hall.
The Madisonville area chamber of commerce also has a history of Madisonville on its webpage. CLICK HERE to see that historical account.
View looking southward on Covington Street in Madisonville. The old Dendinger Bar is on the right. In present day the Piggly Wiggly would be on the Immediatel left and the Dendinger House would be on the immediate right. To the right and down the street, the two story building was the United Friends Benevolent Association Hall, built in 1891. That structure, a music and community house, burned in 1920.
In 1973, the St. Tammany Farmer published the account seen below.
Click on the image to enlarge the view.
The United Friends Benevolent Association (U.F.B.A) Hall in 1920
Artist Winky Chesnutt's pen & ink sketch of the Tchefuncte River Lighthouse.
CLICK HERE for more information about the lighthouse.
The oak tree at the old Madisonville cemetery
where the road bends. Click on the image to make it larger.