Click on the images to make them larger.
The historical group was formed in 1972 and kept busy publishing gazettes, encouraging research, and planning for a museum of some type. It usually met at the Mandeville City Hall. Here are some pictures. Click on the images to make them appear larger.
A Historical Society Luncheon
Dr. and Mrs. S. H. Colvin, were among the founders of the historical society, as was Donald R. Sharp, pictured below
Viewing Exhibits with Bill Bruggman and Louis Wagner
Ron Barthet and Dr. S.H. Colvin putting together an exhibit at Mandeville City Hall
Guest Speaker Pie Dufour is greeted by Ella Paine
The officers and board of directors in the mid-1970's: Seated from left are Germaine Cousin Smith and Miss Ella Paine. Standing from left, Ron Barthet, Mrs. F. W. Grant, Dr. S. Harvey Colvin, Bill Koonce, Mrs. Bertha Neff, and Carl Fredericks.
Historical Society leaders, from left, Bertha Neff, Ron Barthet, Dr. Harvey Colvin, Steve Ellis, Ella Paine, Carl Fredericks, Carolyn and Bill Brugmann.
Passing the Gavel: from left, Louis Ross Jr., Maurice LeGardeur, Fritzi Martin and Eric Bissel
Ron Barthet and John Hunley
Iris Kelso, Meda Koepp and Fritzi Martin
To read more about the historical society's publications, click on the article below from the 1985 edition of the Greater Covington Chamber of Commerce magazine.
To read more about the Mandeville Architectural Survey, CLICK HERE
Melba Colvin and Bertha Neff
Warren Salles spoke to the historical society in 1997 about the movie industry.
In 1996, the historical society visited Bay St. Louis and heard its historian tell of similarities between Hancock County and St. Tammany Parish. CLICK HERE.
Historian C. Howard Nichols
C. Howard Nichols talks about parish history. CLICK HERE
Powell Casey talks about the history of Military Road. CLICK HERE.
Historical society members took part in the "8 Flags Over St. Tammany" Exhibit
CLICK HERE to see some of the exhibits
Ron Barthet presents Paula Johnson of Abita Springs with historical society check recognizing her work in historic preservation and archaeological research. 1977
One of the first efforts to start a historical society in this area took place in 1954. Here's a letter that went out to residents interested in organizing a history research group for both Washington and St. Tammany Parishes. Click on the image below to enlarge the text.
The 1954 group tried to save the Little Napoleon building at the corner of Gibson and Columbia Streets in Covington. It was to be used as a visitors center and museum.
In 1991 the historical society featured a speech by Allen Saltus, who was instrumental in helping the Lake Pontchartrain Basin Maritime Museum get organized and built a few years later. This article also notes the historical society's role in improving and maintaining the Otis House museum in Madisonville.
New efforts to revive the society's activities were made in August of 2018. Here are some photos from a meeting held at the Madisonville Museum hosted by Iris Lulu-Simoneaux Vacante and attended by many members and officers of the society from across the group's 46 year history.
Iris Lulu-Simoneaux Vacante
Donald Sharp, holding just one of the several volumes of historical research he has gathered involving the "Tchefuncte River Corridor" and the towns along the waterway.