In 1927, the Sanborn Map Company made another one of its detailed downtown Covington maps for insurance purposes. The map showed the buildings, how the buildings were occupied, and additional notes of interest to insurance companies being asked to insure those structures.
Let's take a close up look at some of the sections of this map, and sort of "take a walk" around downtown Covington, as it was in 1927. Since there are so many points of interest to see, this is Part One of the map tour. The next part will be published on the Tammany Family blog tomorrow.
Here we go. Click on the map images to make them larger. Text in boldface and different color is a link to more information or a picture. A caption below the picture helps set the scene.
The parish courthouse was accompanied by a "fireproof vault," and the jail was in the rear corner of the courthouse lot. Behind the Southern Hotel and across the alley was a newspaper printing office, the St. Tammany Farmer. Across the street from there, at the top of the row of buildings was a restaurant (across the alley from the Star Theater location).
In the lower right corner is the Boston St./Columbia St. intersection, where there is a dry cleaners. Going up Columbia St. , we come to a photo shop, then a restaurant, and at the top we see a drug store (Bulloch/City Drugs) and a building with a Bake Oven.
On the right side of the map at the top, we see "G. Pyrenes" where Burns Furniture Store was located, (now a vacant lot), with a warehouse area in back set aside for "furniture storage."
Down in the lower right, we see the train track coming along Gibson and turning northward, passing by the two story brick building (formerly Maison Nez) but at that time was a drug store with a doctor's office in the back. Next to that, moving up Columbia, was an auto repair shop, with room for 15 cars.
The Covington Pumping Station is highlighted on the left of the map, with the notes saying there is a "100,000 gallon gravity tank on steel tower, 80 feet to bottom of tank." The pumping house electrical information is given, and a 125,000 gallon reservoir is also noted.
To the right of New Hampshire Street, at the top middle, is another dry cleaning place, where the Beck N Call cafe is located today. At the other end of the block is a bakery with brick oven, and down Columbia to Lockwood, there is an electric shop. In the middle of the block near the alley on Lockwood is an upholstery shop and cabinet shop.
Across the street southward is a two story brick hotel, with a restaurant on the ground floor. Currently that building is occupied by the Columbia St. Tap Room and Grill with professional offices upstairs. There was another restaurant further down Columbia St.
On the left side is the movie show, the Majestic Theater, which offered steam heat, electric lights, and a stage. Below that is Kentzel's Printing. Across the street, down at the corner of Rutland, is the Telephone Exchange building, now an attorney's office.
At the top right is the corner of Columbia and Boston, where we see Covington City Hall in the second building down Columbia. There is a restaurant mid-block on Boston, and an lumber shed in the middle of the block.
Tomorrow we will look at more interesting notes and drawings from the 1927 Sanborn map.
Would you like this three-part Sanborn map article in a PDF file? CLICK HERE to download.